Sunday, June 17, 2007

Religion

Sunday, June 17, 2007
Today I was asked what I thought about church.

I currently say that I am not religious. I used to be, but I stepped away from the church for a number of reasons. One of these reasons is that I lost faith, not in the Catholic faith, but in the Catholic church. I saw people everywhere saying they were devout followers of Jesus Christ, but then go out and drink and commit crimes of infidelity. It sounds extreme, but it's true. There are a lot of hypocritical people out there, and it really upset me.

But that really doesn't give me an excuse. So when I was asked what I thought about CHURCH, it really got me thinking. AM I religious? Because I know what I believe, and I'm comfortable with my own faith. The only challenge I have is professing that faith for the main reason I stepped away from it in the first place - I am one of the hypocrites. I lie, I cheat, I steal.. I am a typical sinner.. And I have accepted that because I know I am human.. I just cannot find myself, at least in the near future, being able to commit to the Catholic faith at this time because I know I will make mistakes over and over again. I want to be able to say that I am religious and MEAN it..

Nevertheless, the debate over whether the religion was all it was "cracked up to be" bothered me because I still feel that if I had to make the choice all over again, I would still choose to be Catholic. There have been times when I questioned that, but it only strengthened my faith in the end. It's funny though that no matter how much I will admit that I am not religious, if you get me started, I will defend what I believe.

No comments:

 
(en·tro·py) © 2008. Design by Pocket