Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Nickelodeon = more educational than school?

Tuesday, March 03, 2009
So I'm currently babysitting, which means the tv is tuned to NickJr while I'm stumbling and online shopping. While I am wasting time doing absolutely nothing productive, I notice what the kids are watching: what looks and sounds like a Chinese Dora the Explorer!

Now introducing:



Ni Hao, Kai-lan... Nick Jr's coolest show ever.. or at least in my opinion anyway. Similar to Dora, Kai-lan teaches kids some basic words and phrases in a new language. But instead of Spanish, it's Chinese. See, what I find some amazing with this concept is that I never learned Chinese, even basics. In grade school, in high school, in college... the most predominant foreign language being taught is Spanish. So, even if these kids never heard of Dora in their lives, they'd have the opportunity to someday learn Spanish. A similar opportunity to learn Chinese will probably never arrive, at least in the K-12 level.


Kids these days. They have all the cool stuff!

No comments:

 
(en·tro·py) © 2008. Design by Pocket